Titanium is the fourth most abundant metal making up about 0.62% of the earth‘s crust. Rarely found in its pure form, titanium typically exists in minerals such as ilmenite, rutile, etc. and continues to be expensive because of its complex isolation process compared to other metals.
Starting in the 1950s, titanium came into use primarily in the aerospace industry for the construction of aircrafts due to its low density, high specific strength and high temperature properties. Since then, the titanium industry has had several cycles of high and low demand with numerous new applications and industries over the years. Today, about 80% of titanium is used by the aerospace industry and 20% by non-aerospace industries such as metal finishing, chemical processing, consumer products and medical implants due to its good compatibility with the human body.
The start of INTECOs activities in titanium production technologies reach back to the year 2008. At that time, INTECO has been awarded with an engineering contract for a large scale VAR titanium ingot production line dedicated to an annual capacity of approx. 12.000t. Based on INTECO’s history and experience in complex production processes, INTECO now offers various technologies as well as the complete production know-how for different titanium production lines.
USP‘s of INTECO Design
- Know-how and experience for each pocessing step and technology along the complete production route
- Long term operational experience and management of full scale titanium production plants including successful certification for the aerospace industry
- Experience in the engineering and commissioning of entire titanium production shops from raw material to finished ingots
- Newly developed titanium VAR (I-Ti VAR) based on well proven and in-house developed VAR technology
Available Equipment & Technology
- VAR and cold hearth production routes
- Entire production lines or single units
- VAR design concepts from lab scale up to 30t ingot weight
- Large scale VAR skull melting casting systems for high recycling rates (> 40 %) for ingot, slab and investment casting products
- Advanced arc centralization system for homogeneous distribution of the magnetic field from the bottom to the top including visualisation in the control system for highest safety and improved metallurgical performance
- Optimized cool down period with advanced lock valve design
- Comprehensive process simulation model exclusively developed with the Montanuniversity Leoben
- Holistic process and production management system (IMAS) for overall data management, data storage and definition of key performance parameters